How Do You Know That You Need A Back Pain Specialist?

Since back pain is such a common illness, one might assume that a general practitioner or internist is an expert when it comes to treating back. This isn't necessarily true. Nevertheless, starting with your primary physician is the place to rule out other problems that may affect your spine, such as pain originating elsewhere in your body that may afflict the back.

While a general practitioner is not a back pain specialist, he can diagnose a pinched nerve or disease that may produce back pain. Many times, a trip to your primary caregiver resolves the backache issues. But if the back pain still persists, you will most probably be referred to a specialist. You can also consult a lower back pain doctor in Lisle via the internet.

In most cases, your family doctor is likely to refer you to a chiropractor, a specialist who is capable of treating acute back pain. One of the benefits of visiting a chiropractor is that he doesn't emphasize drugs to relieve pain symptoms and usually offers non-surgical treatments.

Many pain sufferers prefer physiatrists, as they are adept at treating back and neck pain with a variety of non-surgical options, including physical therapy and injections. These specialists are also likely to tailor an exercise program for your backache.

However, if you need surgery of any kind or a ruptured disc, seeing an orthopedist is your best option.